IS 5 50-40 Jacobus Avenue Elmhurst, New York, 11373 Google Maps
Reporting directly to the Program Director and Assistant Director, the Afterschool Instructor is primarily responsible for delivering physical enrichment activities, including tailoring the curriculum for different levels of instruction. The gym instructor will be proficient in a variety of areas such as Leadership, Team Building and Fitness.
This position will be a part of our Youth and Family Services Department offered at Sunnyside Community Services, which includes a pre-kindergarten program, after-school programs for elementary and middle school students, high school job readiness, career readiness, and enrichment programming and Adult and Immigrant Services
· Supervise a group of participants and provide for the safety and well-being of participants.
· Prepare material and examples in advance for participants understanding during activities.
· Ability to develop and implement fitness, sports, and group games. (Primarily basketball and soccer)
· Support in arrival procedure by monitoring the outdoor areas for thirty minutes a day.
· Support with logistics around athlete arrival and departure.
· Supervise and manage group and individual behavior at all times using positive discipline techniques and proactive interventions to ensure the physical and emotional safety of all participants.
· Make sure attendance is taken during all program meeting times.
· Assist in the collection of all required documents from program participants.
· Model sports-like behavior and maintain appropriate conduct towards participants and colleagues.
· Support with driving engagement and recruitment of athletes onto the team.
· Meet regularly with supervisor and other staff members to share best practices and address challenges.
· Maintain the sanitization of program space and ensure program supplies are well organized, cleaned and in good condition.
· Ensuring health and safety protocols/ policies are maintained.
· Assist in the training and professional development of group leaders and youth workers
· Other responsibilities as assigned
· Experience working with middle school aged participants.
· Must be 18 years old or older
· Must be available M-F during program hours 2:30pm-6:00pm
· Must follow all COVID-19 mandates including state/city mandated vaccination requirements
· High School diploma, some college of relevant degree preferred
· Teaching experience with a minimum of two years’ experience in an afterschool gym environment.
· Excellent organizational and communication skills, with the ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
· This position begins after clearances and required online trainings are complete. Afterschool staff are expected to be committed to the position until the end of the school year in June.
Hours: Monday through Friday, 2:30PM-6:00PM
Location: Sunnyside Campus at I.S. 5
How to apply: E-mail a cover letter and resume to Denise Aragon, Campus Director at DAragon@scsny.org
Please insert “Afterschool Gym Group Leader” in the subject line
Sunnyside Community Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Submit cover letter and resume to the attention of D AragonDAragon@scsny.org New York Google Maps