The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Bronx YMCA is seeking qualified individuals who will play a critical role in providing academic enhancement and enrichment in the Y After School program, including Holiday Camps. The Activity Specialist will be responsible for providing a safe and positive environment for school-aged children, and provide opportunities for learning, interaction, and academic/personal growth. Specifically, the Activity Specialist will prepare and provide age-appropriate dance and sports instruction for grades K- 8th in Y After School.
· Ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities.
· Plan and implement meaningful activities and special events that are structured, age-appropriate, exciting, challenging, and values based in the areas of enrichment.
· Teach participants the fundamentals of dance and sports, including activities that build their level of skill and confidence.
· Coordinate and present a culminating performance at the end of the program cycle, if applicable.
· Prepare the learning environment, lessons and necessary supplies for program activities.
· Work with the Director to secure and maintain all equipment or supplies needed for programs.
· Work cooperatively with Afterschool Counselors, professional staff, teachers, and other program and school staff.
· Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all participants.
· Create and maintain a strength-based, youth-focused atmosphere that is consistent and sensitive to the needs of participants with learning, emotional, or behavioral differences.
· Maintain accurate program documentation (attendance, sign in / out forms, behavior / incident / accident reports, as appropriate).
· Serve as a positive role model for participants.
· Understand and communicate the YMCA’s core values and the goals of the Y Afterschool Program to participants and caregivers.
· Develop and maintain positive relationships with parents and guardians through regular communication about their child’s strengths and areas of growth.
· Adhere to all Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations and regulations.
· Actively participate in all training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
· High School diploma or equivalent; coursework and training in education preferred.
· Minimum of 2 years of experience working with youth, specifically in the areas of dance and sports.
· Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
· Current CPR/First Aid certification is a plus.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity. If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Activity Specialist” to email@example.com or to:
Attn: Stefany Navarro
2 Castle Hill Avenue
Bronx, NY 10473
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities
New York City’s YMCA | WE’RE HERE FOR GOOD.