SALARY: $13.50 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The North Brooklyn YMCA is seeking a Sports Assistant who will assist the Sports Instructor or Sports Coach with promoting the enjoyment of sports while helping children / teens improve physical competence, develop confidence and teaching basic skill development.
· Ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities.
· Assist the lead Instructor / Coach in teaching structured, age-appropriate lessons that promote fair play.
· Reinforce and remind participants / players of game rules.
· Support the program’s objectives and goals for each program session.
· Provide supervision of the participants in line with YMCA program standards and guidelines (i.e. ratio, attendance).
· Assist the lead Instructor / Coach in creating an environment that is encouraging to all participants regardless of skill level.
· Assist the lead Instructor / Coach with the set-up and break-down of each class.
· Ensure that all equipment is age-appropriate, safe and in proper working condition; this includes conducting monthly equipment safety checks.
· Have a thorough knowledge of branch emergency procedures and take appropriate actions for emergency situations.
· Ensure the cleanliness of program space during all activities.
· Inform the lead Instructor / Coach of any incidents that may require an incident report to be filled out.
· Actively participate in all training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
· High School diploma or equivalent.
· Basic knowledge of and participation in sports.
· Excellent verbal communication skills.
· Current First Aid / CPR certifications.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity. If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Gymnastics Assistant” to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:
North Brooklyn YMCA
Attn.: Dwayne Douglas
570 Jamaica Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11208
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities
New York City’s YMCA | WE’RE HERE FOR GOOD.