In July and August of 2018, the Girl Scouts of Greater New York (GSGNY) will offer 7 day camps sites throughout the 5 boroughs. The focus of this program is to provide opportunities for elementary school-aged girls to explore the natural world, enjoy the health benefits of the outdoors, and learn about the environment through creative science projects and trips to unique places. This program reinforces science concepts and literacy, combatting summer learning loss. The program will be based in schools or other community buildings and will include at least 3 weekly excursions to parks, beaches, and outdoors spaces throughout New York City.
Are you ready to change the life of a girl?
We are seeking day camp Directors who can lead this dynamic, educational and enriching program at one of seven camp locations. This temporary position will be responsible for camper and staff management and development, programming and scheduling, and developing and maintaining a safe, fun and enriching camp program. The Camp Director will also be directly involved in leading activities and working with campers; this is not purely a management position.
The candidate will be required to attend trainings beginning in the spring, and open availability to help with summer preparation is a plus. The Day Camp program will officially run for 7 or 8 weeks from July 9-August 31st, 2018.
· Supervise a team of 4 counselors and manage a day camp with 25-30 youth participants.
· Assist in leading new hire orientation for temporary summer staff members.
· Monitor staff conduct and participation, providing feedback to the Urban Day Camp Manager as often as necessary.
· Ensure that accurate attendance is taken every day.
· Ensure that logistics of day camp operations - i.e. trip transportation, activity supplies, meals, safety and sanitary procedures – are managed by appropriate staff and that any issues are communicated to management immediately.
· Lead and supervise daily planned excursions throughout the five boroughs.
· Lead dynamic and engaging activities throughout the day at the assigned camp location.
· Perform necessary duties of the Health Director, including checking participant medical files for allergies, illnesses or conditions that would modify activities.
· Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements from the Department of Health and GSGNY policies & procedures.
· Communicate with parents/guardians regularly.
· Meet with the Urban Day Camp Manager on a weekly basis to review camp progress and concerns.
· Be a positive role model and promote high morale in campers and staff.
· Bachelor's degree in education, social work or relevant field (master's or pursuing masters preferred).
· Must be 21 years of age or older, in accordance with Department of Health & American Camp Association day camp regulations.
· 3+ years’ experience working with elementary-aged children.
· 1+ years’ supervising staff.
· Must be able to attend a Department of Health Camp Director’s Orientation.
· Must complete a State Central Register Database Form and pass a criminal history check.
· Must complete a NYS Division of Criminal Justice Services background check and fingerprint analysis against the Sex Offender Registry.
· A current medical form and TB test to be completed within the first month of employment.
· Must earn your Advance First Aid and CPR Pro certification within the first month of employment.
· Ability to lead engaging, dynamic activities for campers including but not limited to: S.T.E.A.M activities, interactive trips, hands-on science experiments, team-building games, and arts & crafts.
· Strong interest and experience with the outdoors and the environment.
· Strong interpersonal skills to ensure effective interactions with individuals of all levels and backgrounds.
· Effective communicator with the capacity to collaborate with others and be a team player.
· Solid management and organizational skills.
· A creative, inspired thinker.